Wiring 101: All About Home Rewiring
Home completely under construction that we are working on.
Do I Need to Rewire My Home?
A rule of thumb used by electricians is that if your home is more than 50 years old, it is definitely recommended to have your wiring inspected by a professional such as those at Media Technologies. This is because your home may feature older technologies such as aluminum wiring or knob-and-tube components, incompatible with newer models.
Look for the following signs of an outdated wiring system:
• Frequently tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses
• A persistent burning smell, sometimes accompanied by a sizzling sound
• Charred or discolored outlets and switches
How does rewiring work?
Rewiring involves removing as much of the old wire as possible and installing modern, “non-metallic” wire. Compared to older wiring types, non-metallic is safer, easier to work with and doesn’t get hot when surrounded by insulation.
1) One option for removing old wiring is to tear out walls, run new wires and seal everything behind new drywall. However, this is expensive and time-consuming. A job may land on the low end of the cost range if walls need few cuts and wiring can run through a basement, crawlspace, floor joists and attic.
2) Another option to preserve a home’s integrity is to fish wires through walls, using rods and a thin metal line called fish tape. This method occasionally requires a small cut and patch, but preserves plaster walls while adding the conveniences of modern wiring.
NOTE: While rewiring, an electrician will usually always upgrade your home’s service capacity. ex: a home with 60-100 amps may be upgraded to a standard minimum requirement of 200 amps.
How much will it cost?
Expect to pay around $8000-$15000 to rewire a 1500-3000 sq-ft home. However, this quote depends on the size, age and quantity of rewiring needed in your home. The ease with which an electrician from Media Technologies can access old wiring as well as your home’s nooks and crannies may also contribute to each project’s unique cost.
We provide a free consultation and quote estimate for new customers! Contact us at (281)-912-EASY (3279) to get in touch with a professional.